- Main Campus Testing Schedule
- OCC Testing/Advising Schedule
- Test Preparation
- Requesting Test Scores
- Submitting Test Scores
- Course Placement Chart
- TEAS Testing
- Computer Competency
- Pearson Vue Testing
- ESL Listening
The computer competency exam allows a student to demonstrate college-level basic computing skills and fulfill a prerequisite or degree requirement by earning the non-course equivalency of CIS 110. The Testing Center offers the computer competency exam to students in the following programs: University Transfer (Associate of Arts or Science), General Education, Spanish Certificates, Associate Degree Nursing, Occupational Therapy Assistant, Clinical Trials Research Associate, Pharmacy Technology, and Respiratory Therapy. The test focuses on general computer skills and Microsoft Office applications. It is offered during COMPASS hours only, requires 90 minutes to complete and may only be taken once. Photo ID is required in order to test.
Prior to taking the Computer Competency exam, take some time to review features and functions of Word 2007, Excel 2007, Windows, and Internet Explorer. There are 50 questions on the exam. The passing score is 80.
It is important to read all questions and directions carefully. Be mindful of questions asking about distinguishing between select vs. selected. Some questions may ask you to complete a task which includes selecting information. In other questions the information is already selected for you.
Suggested areas to review prior to taking the Computer Competency exam:
- Windows – Open and close windows, maximize and minimize windows, start and close programs
- Word 2007 – Basic formatting, printing, open and close documents, save documents, edit documents, open and close Word
- Excel 2007 – Basic formatting, printing, open and close documents, save documents, edit documents, open and close Excel
- Internet Explorer – Refresh a web page, create a favorites folder, navigation
You may also visit http://www.gcflearnfree.org/ for a free review resource on computer basics, Excel 2007, Word 2007, Windows, and Internet basics.