How do I register?
Submit a completed Continuing Education Registration form including the following:
- Your contact information;
- Course name and section number;
- Your signature; and
- Payment of $258.35 (credit card, check, money order or letter agreeing to pay registration from a third party).
Cash payments will not be accepted.
Submit prerequisites as follows:
- High school diploma or GED;
- Proof of completion of a Nursing Assistant I course (minimum 100 hours);
- Current NC Nurse Aide I listing with no substantiated negative finding;
- Letter from employer verifying a minimum of six months recent Nursing Assistant I experience; and
- Health Care Provider CPR Certification.
Can I take the class if I was listed on the registry in a state other than NC?
Yes. You must provide verification of listing/certification in the state where you were certified. You must have been listed on the registry within the past five years.
Where do I register?
Registrations can be submitted at any one of the designated registration locations:
- Main Campus: Corporate Education Center, 1637 Lawson Street, Durham, NC 27703 (919-536-7222, ext. 4011);
- Orange County Campus: 525 College Park Road, Hillsborough, NC 27278 (919-536-7238, ext. 4203);
- Northern Durham Center: 2401 Snow Hill Road, Durham, NC 27712 (919-536-7240, ext. 4405);
- Northgate Mall: 1058 West Club Boulevard, Basement Floor, Durham, NC 27701 (919-536-7222, ext 4313). Located in the lower level of Office Area #6, just left of Mall Entrance 7; or
- SOUTHBank Building: 400 W. Main Street 3rd Floor, Durham, NC 27701(919-536-7239 ext 4505);
You may also fax your completed registration form to 919-536-7298, Attn: Nursing Assistant Dept.
Can I register early?
Once the course schedule is available, you may register at any time prior to the start of the course.
May someone else register for me?
Yes, anyone may register for you as long as they submit the completed registration packet described above.
Are there other expenses associated with the course?
The required textbook is North Carolina Nurse Aide II (ISBN: 978-1-1334-4007-9). The estimated cost of the textbook is $68.25, and it is available in the DTCC College Bookstore. Books can also be purchased through online book vendors.
Equipment and supplies: Costs will depend on the student and where supplies are purchased.
- A white uniform or scrubs;
- White shoes;
- Stethoscope; and
- Transfer belt.
Criminal background check: Durham Tech encourages students to complete the criminal background check one week prior to the first day of class. Students are required to use the contracted vendor (FirstPoint). The cost of the background check is $28. Students may access the application at www.studentscreener.com. Use the drop down box to select as follows:
- Durham Tech, then;
- Nursing Assistant;
- Enter your personal information;
- Select your payment method; and
Proof of the following immunizations:
- a. Negative Tuberculin skin test or negative chest x-ray within 6 months of first day of class ($15-$30);
- b. Hepatitis B vaccine or completed vaccine declination form on file;
- c. Childhood chicken pox or copy of titer stating immune status (depending on clinical site); and
- d. Student may be required to have influenza vaccine based on season.
Failure to submit the above immunizations may prevent the student from progressing to the clinical portion of the course.
What is the deadline for completion of the background investigation?
Students entering a Nursing Assistant class are asked to begin the background check process one week prior to the first day of class. Students will need to bring a copy of their receipts from FirstPoint Resources.
If an agency (Vocation Rehabilitation, JOCCA, WIA) is paying for my class and books, what do I need to register?
You MUST bring two copies of the letter of payment to registration; one copy to be submitted along with your completed registration form and the other copy will be submitted to the bookstore if the agency is paying for your books.
NOTE: Registration packets will not be accepted until payment authorization is received.
Where do I take the Nurse Aide II state exam?
Competency testing is offered through Pearson VUE, which has test sites located throughout North Carolina.
Visit www.pearsonvue.com to view regional testing sites and dates, download a practice written exam, view their FAQs, and view the competency skills.
Pearson Vue: North Carolina NNAAP
PO Box 13785
Philadelphia, PA 19101-3785
The cost for competency testing is $101. Upon successful completion of the course, Durham Tech students can register for the exam. For your convenience, the exam will be given at our Northgate Mall Campus location (for DTCC students ONLY).
Where else can I take this course?
Most community colleges offer this course.